AT COOBER PEDY NOW FOR A BIT

Thursday 1 August 2013

Wow this is a bit of a culture shock comin to a town with about  3000 ppls around.  The last 2 towns had 150 & 8 in them.  Been so used to remote places with more animals and birds than people...

Coober Pedy is one different place than the usual.  Its got all the mod cons but all throughout the town  and outskirts there are piles of dirt everywhere from the opal mining which started in 1915.  Apparently the mining extends 50 k's or so north and south as well.

There are lots of old mining equipment lying around the town including old trucks etc rusting away.  There are approx 45 different nationalities of peoples living here too.  I went up on a hill to look at the sunset tonite and this guy comes out of a house and says come and see my opal mine under my house and my opal display.

Turned out to be from hong kong and been here for 45 years.   I went to the Italian club for a roast dinner tonite chicken, pork and beef & veg for $10.  Might go back for fish n chips tomorrow nite.

Today I went to four underground place which were a bookshop, catholic church, a museum with a cafe and opal shop and a town history display,  These places are all underground in old mines or dug out of the side of hills. Half the population live underground to escape the heat where they dig into the side of hills. I am going to see a home underground soon and also see a working mine too.. There are also motels underground.

Oh yeah the last week I went up to Witjira nat park and Mt Dare hotel near NT/SA border and simpson desert. I even went into Northern Territory for a bit then headed back south to Oodnadatta again.  1st time in NT for me.  Within The Nat Park I went to see the Dalhouse Springs where I went for a swim in a designated spring which was approx 37 degree just like a hot bath very nice.  Had 2 swims. Wrinkled fingers afterwards.

There are about 140 springs in the Nat Park which all come up naturally from the great Artesian basin which
is a a large body of water underground covering most of the outback.  Water bores are drilled down to get water for remote towns and pastoral properties...  Have I bored you yet????????

Oh yeah I got an email to say I was unsuccessful with the job with the Defence Dept that I went for an interview in Adelaide for.   Life goes on!

Went to mechanic in Coober Pedy today who said couldn't find anything wrong with the van other than a bolt fallen off a front steering arm.  Good news for a change.

Also check out the interactive map  page at top of my blog to see the a map where i have been around AUS. 


Heres some pics of  Lake Eyre

A chunk of solidified Salt

Large patches of wildflowers near the lake

Cup of Tea  after a big walk on the lake

Plaque comemorating World land speed record on the lake by an Australian in the 1960's

Lump of salt

Swirly salt stuff

Next 4 pics are of the sunset over the lake



Next morning sunrise over Muloorina pastoral station



0 comments:

Post a Comment