FINAL NITE IN COOBER PEDY

Monday 5 August 2013

Hey I'm leavin Coober Pedy in the morning. Heading east 400 ks across back to Marree where i started up the Oodnadatta track a while back.  This time I will be headin north east up the Birdsville track 520 k's to Birdsville in far western Qld where I had to leave my previous vehicle last winter. Going to visit it.

There are no towns between Marree and Birdsville, only some outback pub on its own to quench my thirst.

Well before I leave here i was thinkin you dudes may want to see some pics right now of Coober Pedy.  I can hear you salvitating at the moment in anticipation.  Well heres a sample of pictures.  Oh I went underground this arvo into some peoples underground home plus looked in another underground church.  I really enjoyed the house or dugout as they are called, nice and cool below.

A museum, part of a hotel complex underground

Opal information

Outside a mine, the truck with the big bucket works where the mined sandstone underground is sucked up the pipes into the big drum. When it is full the bottom opens and dumps the sandstone on the ground.. Masses of sandstones piles as far as you can see

I went down into a working mine

About 30 to 40 feet underground lookin up a ventilation shaft.  In the old days before mechanical things were available this was the only way up and down for a miner by hand pulley and also getting the mined sandstone up to the surface

A display section in the mine showing artefacts etc

Next few pics are in a persons underground dugout house, note the rough sandstone walls which are very strong and don't need any support




Catholic church entrance

underground in da church

This is your typical house dugout entrance with a carport on side of hill, then you walk inside underground, cool living from the heat and cold. Note the ventilation pipes above, they all have the usual electricity, tv and internet

Entrance to the Serbian church, cool cross at top

Mechanical digger in Toms working mine I went into

0 comments:

Post a Comment